Year R phonics and reading presentation
Thank you very much to all the parents who were able to attend yesterday's presentation evening. If you were unable to make it please find below the three PowerPoints about phonics, a phonics lesson and how we teach reading. Also below you will find hints and tips about how to support your child with wordless books.
If you have any questions please pop and see the class teachers.
And here are some ideas for sharing wordless books...
Year R curriculum presentation
It was lovely to see so many parents at the meeting this morning.
If you weren't able to make it please find the Powerpoint below.
If you have any further questions please pop and see your child's class teacher.
Thank you for your support.
We would like to say a very warm welcome to all of our new Year R children and their families starting this year.
We hope you have all had a wonderful Summer and look forward to seeing you for your home visits in the next few days.
How can I support my child at home?
- Help your child to practise dressing and undressing including being able to turn clothes the right way out
- Help your child to practise putting on his/her coat and doing/undoing the fastenings
- Practise cutting up food
- Make sure child is confident in cleaning themselves after using the toilet including washing hands thoroughly
- Develop independence and thinking skills by encouraging your child to think for themselves and solve simple problems with minimal prompting
- Play games which might involve turn taking, rolling dice or moving counters
- Practise handling different tools such as pencils, scissors, paintbrushes, tweezers, using a correct grip
- Sing songs and rhymes, anticipating words and repetitive phrases
- Share stories together, discussing the pictures, plot and characters
- Read and spell words from the Year R key word list
- Practise writing your child's full name with correct letter formation
- Practise writing individual letters, starting in the correct place
- Read, write and order numbers from 0-10 and 0-20
- Practise counting a number of objects accurately, using strategies such as pointing, moving and lining objects up
- Finding pairs of numbers that make 10 as well as other numbers e.g. 5 = 0+5, 1+4, 2+3, 3+2, 4+1, 5+0
Climbing the tree to a better me
Our special tree focuses on the Social, Moral, Spiritual and Social aspect of our learning. In Year R we are practising using our manners, being a good friend and being respectful and responsible.
We can earn three stars for each rung of the ladder and at the end of the year we can earn a special sticker at the top of the tree for our effort in trying to show these things.
When we have collected three stars of the same colour we can show our certificate in assembly and our name is moved up the ladder in class to show our progress.